Our beauty editor, Nicole Saunders, loves playing around with makeup, but sometimes, a face full of glam causes acne, which is never the vibe any of us want. And if you have sensitive skin, certain ingredients can cause flare-ups and create an even worse situation. Well, you can leave those issues in the past with non-comedogenic makeup.
Saunders consulted skincare experts for their guidance to help you discover the best non-comedogenic makeup available. We also researched 18 picks aligned with their advice, including products in her beauty bag.
WHAT TO CONSIDER
Anyone can use non-comedogenic makeup, but those with acne, combination, or oily skin will likely experience its main benefits — meaning fewer breakouts and congested pores. To help you shop smartly, we found a few of the most common ingredients that you’ll likely stumble upon while looking for non-comedogenic makeup.
👍 Best Non-Comedogenic Ingredients
- Zinc oxide: According to Fedotova, most non-comedogenic makeup contains zinc oxide as the main pigment. "Zinc oxide helps to kill pathogens and has a soothing and calming effect on the skin, as well as reduces breakouts and absorbs excess oil," she says.
- Titanium Dioxide: Madfes is a fan of titanium dioxide, a sunblocking ingredient that is safe to use on delicate skin, doesn’t leave behind a dreaded white cast, and helps block both UVA and UVB sun rays. (UVA rays cause signs of aging, while UVB rays are known for causing sunburns.)
- Salicylic acid: It removes excess oil, unclogs pores, and exfoliates your skin, revealing a brighter, more even-toned complexion.
👎Worst Non-Comedogenic Ingredients
If you're looking to go down the non-comedogenic route with your makeup, Fedotova suggests steering clear of heavy moisturizing ingredients.
- Heavy oils like mineral and avocado oils are great for hydrating dry skin (especially in the winter), but acne-prone, combination, and oily skin types will likely experience acne from using products containing these ingredients.
- Ingredients that end in "cone", such as dimethicone, an occlusive silicone-based ingredient found in everything from primers and creams to hair products.
- Petroleum jelly is a mix of mineral oils and waxes that help seal moisture into your skin, which will contest your pores.
How We Selected
Now that you've had the crash course on these gentle cosmetics, check out 18 of our favorite non-comedogenic makeup picks aligned with their skincare advice. Saunders considered everything from the ingredient label and formulation to shade variety and online ratings to ensure every single one of these items is worth the hype. Additionally, some of these makeup products are favorites of Saunders and other Best Products staffers, so you can rest assured they're actually on point. What could be better?
Best Face Primer
Pore Refiner Primer
Under every great foundation is an even greater primer, which is why we're obsessed with this one from Dr. Brandt Skincare. This pick acts as a two-in-one pore refiner and makeup primer to minimize the look of pores while mattifying the skin for a clear and even canvas for your foundation.
Not wearing any complexion makeup for the day? Feel free to swipe this salicylic acid-infused formula on by itself for an oil-free, matte finish to your complexion.